Friday, March 13, 2009

Just touched down in London town

I took a Picadilly Line train from Heathrow Terminal 4 to the Earls Court underground with one of the couples from the wedding party. Getting to the hotel was painless, and not that bad of a walk. However, being that it was only 0700, there was no way to check in. I dropped off my luggage, and went for a walk. My walk took me to Westminster, Victoria Embankment, Whitehall (where I was able to see the changing of the horse guards ceremony), Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and the British Museum. For those of you who don't know, the British Museum contains the spoils of the British Empire, and houses many fascinating exhibits. My personal favorites were the Egyptian exhibit, and some mummies, as well as the Rosetta Stone. The Asian exhibits were also quite interesting. I am bringing back a terracotta warrior. As previously mentioned, I still had not really slept much since Monday. At the time, it was Thursday on both continents. I made it back to the hotel around 1730, and passed out until 0100. Thank the gods for Sainsbury's, which is a Pathmark on steroids, where I was able to get some food; a roast beef sandwich with horseradish sauce and a potato salad in which the mayo was mixed with mint, and a ginger beer soda. Note to the public, ginger beer and ginger ale are not in any way similar. Also, these things do not all taste very good together. Oh well, the sign at the entrance to Sainsbury's advised to "Try something different", and that's exactly what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment